In this article, I will tell you How to clean a laptop screen and keyboard? As the laptop is a portable device, we use it almost everywhere. Thus modern displays on big and small laptops being richly colored and gorgeously detailed sometimes get dirty. A laptop requires more cleaning as compared to a desktop because of its portability factor.
As we use it everywhere, either that be while having lunch, or traveling or going out. Thus it gets dirty by simply leaving it open or it may get dusty, oily or even muddy with our hands. We use a laptop in almost any season either that be summer, winter, cyclone or even rain for the accomplishment of our duties and tasks.
The modern laptop screen is being more durable than the older counterparts. Ones designed to have touch functionality, they can handle pressure well. Still, fingertips can leave marks so it’s of utmost importance to clean them regularly.
Some methods are commonly used for cleaning a laptop like wiping off with a wet/dry cloth or even using some commercial cleaners and sprays but all these methods can damage your laptop. As laptops keypad, body and screen have a sensitive surface so enough precautions need to be taken while cleaning it. By the application of wrong chemicals, its look and shine can be damaged.
In this article, we will tell you how to clean a laptop screen and keyboard without damaging it.
Table of Content
How To Clean A Laptop screen
Here are a few ways of cleaning your laptop screen.
1: To clean the screen with a microfiber cloth against dust
If you want to clean your screen without purchasing any special screen cleaner, you can use a microfiber cloth. Don’t use anything which is paper based on your screen, either that be a toilet paper or paper towel, as your Laptop screen can get scratched badly.
Microfiber cloth is a must tool for camera owners and glass users and is being the best way to clean eyeglasses and camera lens. Being very soft and designed to clean debris and dust, without scratching delicate surfaces or producing any lint, microfiber cloth is the best tool for cleaning a laptop screen. It’s handy for cleaning all types of lenses and screens. To do so, you need to follow these steps
- First of all, turn off the computer and unplug the battery and power adapter because cleaning a screen which is in use can cause permanent damage. So to be on the safe side, turn off everything. A blank screen also helps you see the dust that has to be removed.
- Wipe the screen gently in one direction without exerting pressure. While wiping in the circular motion, you can lift up even the tougher spots. Scrubbing the screen could even cause pixel burnout, damage the display or even move around the dust particles.
- Continue to wipe the display till its dust free.
2: Damp sponge for grime and dirt
When you have more than dust on the display, only rubbing the microfiber cloth won’t work, so the damp sponge method needs to be used here. All you will need is a brand new sponge and distilled water. Filtered water is better than the standard tap water to avoid any mineral marks on the display. Following steps need to be followed
- Shut down the laptop and unplug from its power source. Also, try to remove the battery.
- Use distilled water to wet the sponge and wring it well so no drips should be there.
- Wipe gently the affected area of the monitor screen with the sponge. Watch for the drips and clean up immediately if there is any. You might have to pass multiple times over the screen till all the smudges are removed. The cloth also might need to be dampened, depending on how many passes you need to make over the screen.
- Once it’s clean, watch out for the display to dry out completely before using it or closing the lid.
3: Cleansing solutions for sticky stuff and oils
Once the cloth method failed and the wet sponge dint does it, then it’s time to try a cleaning solution. A screen cleaning spray is easily available in the market. If you can’t get it, you can easily make your own by mixing white vinegar with equal parts of distilled water or by mixing the same ratio of high percentage isopropyl alcohol with distilled water.
Refrain from using any kind of glass cleaning fluid, also avoid spraying directly on the monitor. Don’t use alcohol-based stuff, as it can damage your HMI laptop. For cleaning your laptop with cleansing solutions, follow these steps.
- Shut down the laptop. Also, unplug from the power source and remove the battery.
- Hold the screen from very top or bottom for avoiding re-smudging as you work. On a microfiber cloth, apply or spray the cleaning fluid. You need to make sure, the cloth is not wet but damp.
- Rub the cloth gently on the affected area. To avoid streaks, you should rub in small circles. Applying heavy pressure can damage its display, so it needs to be avoided. Apply gentle and even pressure on the cloth.
- Repeat if necessary. You need to make sure that the fluid shouldn’t drip on laptops keyboard or display.
- Once finished, you need to wait until the display is dried completely before powering it on or closing the lid.
4: To disinfect with a hand sanitizer
If you want to disinfect your laptop screen, you need to use a hand sanitizer as it kills all the germs. Simply follow these steps
- Take some hand sanitizer and a clean paper towel.
- Squeeze some gel in the paper towel.
- Now wipe the screen
- For removing smudges, use some clean microfiber cloth.
Here are some tips and Suggestion:
- If a microfiber cloth isn’t available, you can use the corner of a shirt or a cotton cloth.
- The device must be off before the cleaning is started.
- If you get a case, you can prevent your device from scratching or bumping.
- By purchasing a screen cleaning kit, you can clean your screen easily as it includes anti-static wipes too. This might be adding to your expenses but it’s worth the price.
- A scratch guard, also called a screen guard will further protect your device. Having a layer of film, it protects the screen against scratches in everyday use.
- Wash the cleaning cloth regularly to keep it in a clean and good condition.
- You can buy isopropyl alcohol from any chemist and use this for cleaning the screen. Either that be a mobile phone or HMI computers, it leaves no marks or trace.
- Avoid using alcohol-based stuff or any paper-based stuff on your screen.
How To Clean A Laptop keyboard
The dirtiest part of a laptop is its keyboard. We use it while traveling, eating, drinking anywhere so it grabs all the grease, dust and dirt. So it must be cleaned thoroughly.
Cleaning with a vacuum
- For cleaning the keycaps of the keyboard, first of all, turn the laptop off.
- A small vacuum works well. By using the tiniest attachment of the vacuum, you can gently suck crumbs, crud, and hair from between the keys of the laptop.
- Now rub off all the dirt and curd with a pencil eraser.
- Now for cleaning out the eraser stubble left between the keys, use the vacuum again.
Cleaning with a blower
- First of all turn and unplug the laptop. Take out the battery too.
- Switch on the blower to blow out the dust on the keyboard. Make sure to angle the blower in a single direction and keep using it in the same direction only.
Cleaning with a microfiber cloth
- After switching off the laptop, take out the battery and unplug the laptop.
- Take a microfiber cloth and rub all the keys for dragging up and lose dust.
Cleaning with disinfectant wipes
- Turn off the laptop and unplug it.
- Now clean every key with disinfectant wipes. You need to change the wipes, as they will get dirty while you will rub it gently across the keys.
- After disinfecting, grab a microfiber cloth. Spray some water over it and make it a little damp and clean the keys with it gently by getting all the sides.
Many people use canned compressed air for cleaning a keyboard. Though the air clears away most of the debris, it also blows it deeper in the laptop. After the dirt is embedded inside, you can’t clean it out in any way.
Leave a Comment